Alright, we’re on a roll of quick and easy recipes. I’m pretty sure it’s freezing all over the country so try this vegetable stew recipe as a great comfort food. Serve it with corn bread and a re-run of Love Jones!
Butternut Squash and Mushroom Stew
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- White button mushrooms, sliced
- Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 of a medium butternut squash, chopped
- 1 red potato, chopped
- 1 purple potato, chopped
- 4 petite fingerling white potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup of lentils, pre-cooked or canned
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups of kale, thinly sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onions, cook until tender; transfer to a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of oil and sliced mushrooms, cook until golden brown; transfer to a bowl. Using a cast iron oval french oven pot, add the mixture of onions, garlic and sliced mushrooms. Add squash, chopped potatoes and cover with stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Add lentils, parsley, kale. Cook about 30 minutes and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. If you want a little kick, you can add some tony chachere’s and red pepper flakes.
And I’m happy to share that these fantastic photos we’re taken by the amazing Alixann Loosle, please check out her blog!